Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rehydration


Two wet ladies

Oregon.  Where else would a person go to have a long thirst-quenching soul-filling drink of life?  Green as far as I could see, lichen covering the oaks, moss covering the ground, rain falling softly for days, wet dogs and wet dog kisses...I went to visit my cousin in Corvallis and from the  Portland airport (where the restrooms have these AWESOME toilets - pull up on the handle to flush for #1, down for #2, regulating the amount of water consumed - only in Oregon, right?) to the dark cocoon of a  shuttle ride back 2 days later, I was fed, literally and figuratively by the people and the place.  Talking in the car, talking over the squish-squish of muddy boots, talking from underneath the leaning bodies of large dogs. And eating - eating amazing Sesame Tempeh, lovely birthday Salmon, addictive new year's day black-eyed pea salad, and of course the Edward Abbey pizza (again - only in Oregon)...Having Jessica in my sight was an unimaginable gift, and the icing on the cake was visiting with my aunt and uncle, Christopher (whose birthday it was), and - this was just bizarre - via Skype, I had a long conversation and even a round of "In The Manner Of The Word" with cousin Ben and Chrystal, who are in Japan.

I feel connected, loved, alive, and maybe the best part was coming home to find that Dan and the girls shared 3 days of hikes, sewing projects, good food, books, and love. I am full full full and grateful. Happy hopeful new year!
Me and Reuben

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Hey Debbie, sweetie, we miss you and honest to god, it has sort of stopped raining. Have you stopped picking dog hair off your clothes yet? Here is the recipe to the black-eyed pea salad:

Black-eyed peas (A cup or so of dried-ones-cooked, or 2 cans)
1 tomato, chopped (I forgot to add this)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
Onion-of-choice, chopped (I used red onion, maybe 1/4 cup)
3 T vinegar-of-choice (I used cider)
2-3 T olive oil
1 T sugar
Salt and pepper

Obviously, there is room for creativity in this recipe, so go for it.

Your book list cracks me up: I am having little difficulty sorting out your books from Dan's at the moment! And my offer still stands: you may borrow the poop costume that we have, anytime at all,just let me know.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your sweet family!!