Sunday, March 22, 2009

Signs of Spring

In the midst of E's waning fever and my impending stomach virus, A really needed to get out into the sunshine, so we compromised (something between lying on the couch and hiking around the lake) and took a walk down the street, searching for signs of spring...(mind you, this was a week ago, so old news in terms of new signs, but beautiful all the same!)
The crocuses my mom and sister planted with us in October
The "deer-proof" daffodils that were a birthday present from my family in September
Forsythia bushes are all a-bloom this week
Ani said, well you better take a picture of me! I've got short sleeves on - that's a sign of Spring!  Sure enough...

I'm really missing the SMELL of spring that I remember from Seattle. There was always an unidentifiable bush that bloomed early and with it came a heady, heart-stopping fragrance that lifted me a bit off the ground...that, and the daphne.  No smells yet, but the magnolias are blooming and there are buds on the cherry trees...

4 comments:

Nodogoshi Bliss said...

Debbie- We know that awesome Seattle flower smell....sarcococca confusa (Sweetbox). Chrystal just looked it up.

slim pickins said...

Oh Thank You, Wizards of the West-now-East!!! I guess it was "unidentified", not "unidentifiable"! I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination...do you have it in Japan?

Merry said...

I'm so happy to see and hear that the bulbs we planted in October made it through the winter and now will brighten up the yard! Yipee Skippee!!

Anonymous said...

We have sarcococca all over our front yard! It was blooming/scenting a few weeks ago. And the daphne is still going, but also waning now.

Now we have plum, cherry, and apple blossoms! My poor husband is sneezing like mad.