Friday, July 3, 2009

Kitchen Fixins

There are no photos for this post as I thought photos of yogurt might not be sooo interesting - just a nice little run-down of the happenings in my kitchen yesterday.  I spent the morning volunteering at Waterloo Aquatic Education Center, helping them clean and get ready for their first summer camp next week!  The girls happily played with some friends, so we all had a good morning.  The afternoon was comfy in the cool weather, and I decided to get some stuff done in the kitchen.  I've been wanting to try making yogurt for a while, and a friend gave me a half gallon of half and half that was about to expire, so I decided to try it. Now, I would not normally try this with half and half! But food is expensive and I decided to use what I had for this experiment.  Mom, Dad, I think I made Rommegrot.  This is a Norwegian dish - the internet says it is a festival dessert, but I recall eating it for breakfast and dinner at the little huts we'd stop at on our hike through the mountains of Norway in...1985?  The recipe I think calls for sour cream and whipping cream, but the combination of half and half, vanilla, honey, and a bit of yogurt and the consistency it got to reminds me quite a bit of it!  So...maybe not yogurt as we'd like to eat it, and much too rich to have much of, but I still enjoyed the transformation over...8 hours?! (I don't think it's supposed to take that long!)  In order to keep my stovetop warmed while the yogurt yogurtized, I baked some bread and made some granola - also for the first time.  I was on a merry-making roll.  The bread is almost gone, so a definite success;  the granola has yet to be put to the test, but with homemade rommeyogurt and some fresh blueberries, I don't think we can go far wrong...

I would love to hear from anyone who has made yogurt without a "yogurt maker" and/or anyone with a favorite and simple granola recipe! I looked at several online and came up with my own, going for as few ingredients as possible...oats, honey, oil, sunflower seeds and almonds and a pinch of salt.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I have made yogurt, and it was easy, but I don't want to talk about that right now because you made ROMMEGROT!!! That stuff, drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and eaten somewhere high in the Jotenheim mountains ahhhhh ja, sa deilig. Just
this reminiscing of the old country, I am so verklemt i am rendered speechless...

Stacy (mama-om) said...

Oh my, that series of photos on the beach is fantastic!!

Keira A said...

My mom says she used to use an electric hot plate to make yogurt...it kept it at the right temp. And as for granola we like to get complicated in our improv: sometimes use some applesauce or OJ to make it clumpier, pepitas, sunflower seeds, all sorts of rolled things...the other end of the granola spectrum. I miss you.