Sunday, November 18, 2012

the small things


We have spent this weekend trying to come into the center of things.  To be centered.  To find some grounding.  We so badly want to be out and playing with our friends - all of us! - and we are just about there.  Ani is currently in love with Garfield and lay all morning Saturday in this sunny spot, reading to herself and occasionally, when it was just soooo funny she had to share, aloud.  That might be my favorite way to experience Garfield - through her chuckling, would-you-believe-he-glued-John-to-the-chair?! voice.

I was having a much harder time finding peace, and as Dan left the house to go and write I decided the only way to save the day for myself was to get outside.  Ani isn't the only one who's been in quarantine this last month, and it was on the heels of 5 weeks of no Dan, so I was feeling, shall we say, tender this weekend, and I don't mean fond-tender, I mean raw.  So out it was. 


It was, as usual, life-saving.  Relationship-saving. Sanity-saving.


The girls were off and running, running, running, up and up and up, as I slowly meandered before the climb, taking in the small glories along the way.  The woodpecker's work...


The hidden wonders...





When we reached the top, where the magical rocks are, we all found our own solitary spots without any discussion.  Ani had made lunch for us all, and we ate it in our own spots on the backs of these stone creatures.



can you see them?



We found so much chickweed (stellaria) along the path in her fall growth.  I filled my empty tin to take some for our salad.  We returned home filled with fresh air and the sort of soothing only stones and moss and fungus and pine needles and woodpeckers can provide.


In the afternoon Ani declared it "art time" and asked me to show her how to make the lanterns! The smallest balloons are just the right size for her hands, especially when I helped her get to the easier parts a little more quickly.  She can tend towards being a perfectionist, and these are definitely what I think you would call "wabi-sabi", where the imperfections are part of what make them so beautiful, so this was a little challenging for her, but she persisted...






...and they are such beautiful little cups.



We ended the day with special treats for all of us - a beloved adult visitor for the girls and a date for me and Dan.  Should I say that again? A date. Do you know how much can be discussed, mended, laughed about and reminisced over in the span of a few hours alone?  Our last date was in August, and let me tell you that a date every 3 months is just not enough.  It took us so many years to get to a point where we wanted to leave the girls with anyone, but now it is a date for them too, they love this friend (and her sister) so much.  

Ah. Moving closer to center.  We are taking advantage of Ani's recovery and getting the heck out of town tomorrow to visit dear friends in Virginia.  Yahooooo! 

3 comments:

merry said...

So happy that everyone is feeling well again and not cooped up in the house! YAY for nature walks to feed the soul and spirit! Have a safe, wonderful reunion with old friends! Love you all. Dan, lots of luck in Montreal!

Stephanie said...

I'm so happy for you, too!
You might know how much I loooove recalibration.

It's so lovely how that Out and change of scenery will work its magic on us!

And let me also say that everytime I've come to visit the last few times, I lovelovelove that new header! :) So fun.

Have a fine trip!

Kerry said...

You know how to mend things; getting out and on a walk is the best, always. Glad to hear that you & Dan had some alone-time, and that you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving with dear friends.