Sunday, November 16, 2014

writing



I am packing. I can't pack without a story.
My ipod is malfunktioning. Sort of.
(Malfunktion
might be the name of my new band)

Ani would rather tell a story than write it down.  I haven't quite determined why, but I imagine it's because the process slows down the lightning speed of the thoughts.  And writing letters? Geez, what is one to say? I mean, it's all pleasantries and what if you just can't think of what to write? (If you've ever received a letter from Ani, treasure it.)  But when I have my worried nights - which I do every few months - I finally come around to the fact that she is more than capable of communicating her thoughts and needs in written form, when necessary.  And, as with the last photo above, she can also funnel off her frustration through her pen, which goodness knows is how I got through high school.

We work some writing into our weeks in multiple ways.  She loves learning cursive and often asks me to show her a few more letters so she can write more words.  She'll write a recipe up on the window when she wants to double it and needs a place to work it out.  The new favorite writing practice is making lists.  They often sound like poetry.  In fact, this list has the word "ellipsis" written above it, making me think it could be the title of this poem.

If roads were rivers...
If chickens had sails...
If birds were teapots...
If sweet potatoes were submarines...
If salt was treasure...
If napkins were flying fish...
If squash wore skates...
If fruit flies had kazoos...
If lasagna was president...
If potatoes wore glasses...
If sandwiches wrote poetry...
If lakes were full of butter...
If cameras were kiwi...
If lemons sang opera...
If toast swam laps...
If raisins wore pants...
If beans were motors...


Another post for November! 

3 comments:

merry said...

Oh, don't you worry! Every note I've received from Ani (and Eliza) is taped to the bathroom door so I have reading material handy! Some day she will write short stories for a living. She may be the first in our family to actually do it!We have many who have played at it, but she may surprise us! It was fun, last month, to watch how carefully she practiced her cursive.

JessicaBliss said...

IF BEANS WERE MOTORS

Girl, I'll be wondering about this alllll day.

slim pickins said...

Jess, every one of these has my mind spinning in some Alice in Wonderland direction. Raisins with pants? Fruit flies with kazoos? WHAT???? And she says she's not done... "Mama, let's try and focus on FOOD, I think that's funny..." And how.