Thursday, June 23, 2016

fourteen

This girl couldn't wait to be born. She emerged with her arms extended, poopin' and yellin', looking like a wrinkled mini-super hero. Fourteen years later she is still HERE soaking up life, inhabiting her slice of the world with humor and passion.  There is no pigeon-holing her teenagedness; she is goofy, sweet, compassionate, curious, opinionated, creative, dreamy, capable, and completely obsessed with apocalyptic sci-fi, succulents and hair.  





 If I did not know this girl, I would wish I did. She is a loyal friend and a sweet companion.



This year has been about sci-fi books (The Hunger Games, The Divergent Series, The Lunar Chronicles, The Maze Runner) and dance and learning to move in a growing body.  She rediscovered a gift for music, learning to play the fiddle, picking up old-time music by ear.  She would love to sit and watch her favorite movies with you over and over and over, which really shouldn't surprise me since that's how she's absorbed new beloveds since day one, and what better way to connect than over your third watching of Portlandia? Or Zombieland? Or Divergent?


meeting our new friend, Piper
She is spending the weeks around her birthday delving into new things, participating in two theater arts camps - masks and stage combat - with confidence and courage.  It turns out I've been saying a lot of the same things about you for years, my daughter, because you have been So You for so long. The way you know yourself is one of the many things I admire about you.


 Happy turning of the Sun, dear one!  I love you so much!


1 comment:

merry said...

YES. YES. YES! How lucky for me to have this wonderful human being as my first grandchild. As her namesake would say, "She is truly a blessing". I love her so much, sometimes it takes my breath away.