Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Evening with Ani

Yesterday evening Ani and I had just enough energy to stroll (ahem, I was strolling, she was strollering) down to the bike path and around to the garden to pick some of the last peas. On our way we found...
Black raspberries

Goldenrod Gall

Here's a hazy shot of Plot 55

And some bike polo, of course!

Along the way we saw a cricket game being played, found a few more caterpillars that we did not bring home, and contemplated the following questions:

Do bears and cats belong together? Like in the same family? (I could answer this one with some confidence)

Why is "Blueberry Buckle" called buckle?  I haven't the faintest...but I love the question.

And it was the first evening we heard the cicadas whining away the end of the day. Summer.

2 comments:

Merry said...

What is a "buckle", you ask? A buckle is "an old fashioned single-layer cake with a strusel-type topping. The batter is quite dense. As the cake bakes, the batter sinks to the bottom of the pan, which makes the strusel buckle"!! The recipe that came up when I googled buckle looks yummy!!!

slim pickins said...

Ah! Well, I tried to describe what "buckle" in that sense meant, but I was using a road analogy and she was just like "what???" Thanks, mom!