Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pickles!

I am sitting and waiting for Eliza to return home from rehearsal, listening to the very satisfying "click" of the jars of pickles sealing in the kitchen.  I love that sound! This is the year that I learn how to can more than sweet pickles...but this is a start.
Ani helped me prepare the syrup 3 days ago 
(she donned a belly-saving apron moments after this picture was taken, I promise)


I know they're not to everyone's taste, these sweet and vinegary pickles, but they graced the dinnertime table of my Grampa Chet and Gramma Jane, so it is not only because I do like them, but because every little jar gives me cause to think about them and the meals we shared, and I get to share that with my family...(well, with Ani anyway! I don't know that the rest of them will eat 'em...)

5 comments:

Chrystal said...

I love pickles! Also, I've been meaning to tell you how amazing your new header photo is. Super cool.

Merry said...

I just hope there are some left by the time I get there!! I love these pickles - especially with a grilled cheese and tomato soup. YUM!! Save some for me, Ani!!

Bubbie said...

pickles-and-ice-cream-pickles-and- ice-cream-pickles-and-ice-cream...

jb said...

oh man, the meals I've had at Chet and Jane's! Baked beans, especially. Absolutely the best on the planet. And the cherrywood kitchen! Wow - I owe much to those fine people.

Pink & Green Mama said...

We're just starting to harvest our cucumbers from our garden this year..I may have to try making some pickles with my girls!! Your blog is lovely. : ) From one nature nerd to another...