Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Recipe Book WIP

My Aunt Kerry just wrote a post with a delicious-sounding recipe, wherein she lamented that she can never find this particular favorite recipe when she wants to make it. She happily figured that she can now return to that post the next time she has a craving (for portabello mushrooms, sage and walnuts over pasta....mmmmmm). I thought I would share what I've started doing with those favorites as well as the ones I hope to someday try...
I have a very creative friend who showed me her version of this 3-ring-binder, and I loved the idea immediately. It merges a love of cooking with a love of things pretty, and though I also love the metal box full of index cards with my grandmother's handwriting all over them, pointing the way to baked beans, poppyseed rolls and the like, this method of keeping recipes has made me very happy...It is still a work-in-progress, as I hope to include more photos of the people who gave me the recipes or with whom I've shared many homecooked meals, but here is a glimpse of a project you might enjoy undertaking sometime during the long winter months ahead...

When I want to use a particular recipe, I take the whole sheet out of the binder and clip it to my fridge. I love the chance to think about who I've made this for or who's made it for me...



Photos, old Christmas cards, wrapping paper, drawings the girls have made, images I've saved for years, not knowing when I'd use them, postcards with poetry on them...it's all in here!

(I apologize for the photos - I probably should have removed the pages from their plastic protectors, but this way I guess it truly looks like a work-in-progress!)

3 comments:

Merry said...

Curried couscous, please! That looks yummy, but I can't read the recipe!This is a wonderful way to remember old friends/family as you're preparing and eating food that connects you to them.If I were younger and had a family I was still cooking for, I'd grab this idea in a flash!!

Annie said...

What a beautiful book!! I love your idea.

Kerry said...

How awesome!! I need to take lessons from you, although this summer I (supposedly)learned from your aunt Monica how to keep a 3-ring binder!!! I have one!!! And I am incredibly proud of it,even though it has no photos (you do NOT have time for this, do you?) Somehow the sage-portabella-walnut recipe didn't ever make it into my binder, though. Of course not.