Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday My Town Shoot-Out: Aquariums

Every Friday, folks from all over the world collect photos on a theme and post them to share on My Town Shoot Out. This week the theme is Aquariums, and was chosen by ChefE in Princeton, New Jersey.

We, unfortunately, do not have an aquarium here in our little town of Athens, Ohio, so I had to get a little creative. We were also snowed in...so except for a quick visit to the doctor's and the grocery store, we were home! We made do with the fishes we could find...
No Fishing!!! A sign you might see at an aquarium...this one was a bit unnecessary, being located in the midst of a waiting room full of sick people.
On to the grocery store!!! Wild Caught, Farm Raised...hm, again, signs one probably won't see in a real aquarium.
So pretty in their pinkness. However, see that sign, "advertised special" on the crab cakes? I fell for that once, and let me tell you. No one in this part of Ohio has any business making or eating crab cakes.
By this time I had been asked twice if we needed any help at the seafood counter, so I didn't risk clambering up onto the cooler case to get a better peak at the captives, but I assure you, there was a greenish murk to the water in there, promising the presence of some poor critter.

How we wish we could have visited an aquarium this week! The jellies, the rays, the touchables, and our favorites, the sharks...sigh. We'll have to visit vicariously through the other posts of this shoot-out!

12 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Have you ever fillet a salmon? We had a ooking game and contestants have to fillet salmon. Of course, they don't come out like your photo.

Kerry said...

The Midwest, so dear to my heart, is not the place to go for crab cakes or live lobster! But I'm impressed that you thought of the seafood counter for this assignment: great idea! Think I'll snap a few pics next time I go to the store.

Pauline said...

Did you get some odd looks when you were taking photos of the filleted fish? Good thinking, though. I enjoyed your post.

spiritsoflena said...

I loved your grocery store pics!

Jama said...

Such a big array of fillet fishes! over here most fishes are sold and cooked whole, we only remove the bones while eating.

se7en said...

Hi there I followed you from Ordinary Life Magic, and what a fun spot!!! We couldn't go to the aquarium recently so we made our own: http://www.se7en.org.za/2009/06/13/underwater-ocean-scenes-with-se7en-crafty-ideas
Hope you have a fun weekend!!!

GingerV said...

I also put a photo of the fish counter, Brasilian style. the fillet of Salmon look beautiful but it is best cooked with skin on.

good post about aquariums.... or lack there of.

slim pickins said...

Thanks everyone! We lived in Washington state for 11 years before moving here, so we probably ate more than our fair share of salmon and crab...

Se7en, your aquarium crafts are so much fun!!! I think I learned 5 new painting techniques that we'll have to try!

Chef E said...

When I took my shots of the fish aquarium coffee tables I too was tempted to take photos of the sushi counter, but they were kind of sparse too, not murky, or we would have not eaten there, lol!

Great post!

Sarah Siwicki said...

Yummy fish fillets. Great pictures!

NanU said...

I love the creativity that comes out when the theme isn't easy!

Jen said...

mmm....those fillets looked good!