Sunday, March 8, 2009

the quiet

The last few days have been so busy, I don't even want to think about them right now. So for a little quiet...Eliza is taking piano again, after a hiatus during our move, and is learning so quickly. She delights herself daily, running back to the piano after meals to play it again (her latest favorite is to play her new 2-handed piece "backwards AND with my eyes closed". I try not to laugh...). She has tried many new things this year, and it makes me so happy to see her engaged and proud of herself. She can feel how the hard work, the repetition is paying off...

But it is these moments that I love the most. Her papa loves to noodle around at the piano (claiming he doesn't really play. ha.), and they will sit in the evening and improvise together, letting their notes circle around and around each other, slowly winding down the day with a peaceful meandering up and down the keys...lovely.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh how I would love to have a piano in our home! I took Suzuki lessons for many years, but am not sure I remember very much now, it's been so long! I miss playing though and would love for my children to learn. Not sure how on Earth we would squeeze one into our apartment though! :)

slim pickins said...

well, we bought ours (and it's an electric keyboard, but with good touch and sound) when we were in a little apartment - it was the floor model and came a little cheaper. i've seen some on the local freecycle list...i highly recommend a house full of instruments!

thanks for leaving a note - it's kind of a thrill when it's not my sister or mom commenting!! (um, not that those comments aren't DEARLY appreciated...)

alissa said...

uh...hello? its your sister? commenting? i need to be appreciated, please....'cause it is, after all, all about me!!!
i just saw this video and it reminded me of liza...ok, maybe not yet, but soon!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wQ0vKu6MLg&feature=related

alissa said...

this one, too! and the song is VERY familiar!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXg92atWVg

Erin said...

Think I may have started a family feud.. ha, sorry about that!

Speaking of.. I got into an argument with my hubby one day about how an electric keyboard does not sound the same as a piano (only because I desperately want to buy the old-fashioned kind.) I supoooose a keyboard would function just as well though and would be much more practical and affordable. :)

Btw.. I just love the fireplace entry to your house. That is so cool.

slim pickins said...

i know - i was resistant as well, but we made sure it *felt* like a piano, and the sound is good. it has a few different settings that don't get used often, and none of the drumbeats, etc. that would make me crazy...you can also find the old fashioned kind on freecycle, but they need moving, and tuning and care...

Erin said...

True, none of which I have time for! I need to look into joining a new freecycle group in my area now that we've moved.

Oh, and as much as I'm enjoying this comment conversation, feel free to e-mail me at theolivetree7@hotmail.com if you ever want to chat aside from here. I am planning to homeschool after my oldest finishes kindergarten this year and am trying to get to know some other mamas (especially in Ohio!) who homeschool too.

Hope you have a wonderful week. :)

Merry said...

OK, here's "the mom"! After many years of having piano music in the background - first from gramma Eliza, and then from you - I am thrilled to know you now are enjoying hearing your own daughter producing music. And I love knowing that Eliza is keeping up the tradition!