Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Art with Pressed Flowers and Plants

We've been thinking of things to do with some of our recently pressed flowers and leaves. I tend to be the sort of person who saves things...for a long long time...but Ani has been excited about what she's collected and I wanted to find something for us to do with them. I've read about pressing plants between wax paper and ironing the piece to create a picture to hang in the window or to use for cards or bookmarks, or homemade field guides or really anything you want! We made a window hanger with plantain leaves...
...and flowers from the garden...
...and we don't own an iron, which didn't stop us - we used the hot kettle after heating water for our morning coffee and tea...


We were quite pleased with how they turned out and will definitely do this again!! We also used some of the petals, flowers and leaves to decorate Eliza's flower press, which we made one evening while she was at Oliver rehearsal.
I find Ani looking more closely at the flowers we find on our walks, making this celebration of the beauty growing around us that much better...

7 comments:

Lisa said...

We used he plantain leaves to do this too a few weeks ago. Love that plantain. so creative with that kettle! Love the flower press!

Lisa ;)

Merry said...

Ani! Your flowers and leaves look beautiful in the window!! And the hummingbirds will enjoy seeing them too! What a lovely thing to do with your collections! Maybe you can make some for my house when you're here next week, how about?!!! Love you

Annie said...

So pretty! I love how they turned out!

Anonymous said...

We love pressed flowers around our house too! I have been mindful of pressing flowers from each bouquet I bring in throughout the summer. I like what you made with yours and how clever with your tea kettle!

gardenmama said...

oops! "anonymous" was me ; )

Kiersten said...

would you mind giving instructions on how to do that? Is it really as simple as it looks? two pieces of waxed paper ironed together?
I'd love to do this project with my kiddos!
thanks,
Kiersten

slim pickins said...

Yes, I can't wait to do more with these - I'm thinking of candles in particular as a way to save a bit of summer for our long winter nights...
Kiersten, it was really this simple. I lay out a piece of waxed paper, she lay out her design of pressed leaves and petals, I lay another piece of waxed paper on top, lay a tea towel over that, and applied heat from the kettle, "ironing" it back and forth for a minute or two. then she cut around it, leaving a bit of a margin, and we hung them up! you could get much fancier, i'm certain, but we kept it pretty straight-forward and simple...